Mission, Philosophy & Vision
Benchmark School is committed to helping bright students who learn differently, or have yet to reach their academic potential, develop the confidence, strategies, and knowledge to become lifelong learners, thinkers, and problem-solvers.
- Benchmark provides a comprehensive academic program tailored to the way each student learns best, fostering a mastery of executive functioning processes and 21st-century skills.
- Benchmark offers the unparalleled expertise of gifted faculty who have a passion for their profession and individual student success.
- Benchmark provides a dynamic continuum of communication and care with a collaborative team of teacher-mentors and a professional counseling staff who work with parents to develop the whole child.
- Benchmark provides bridges to academic success: Benchmark’s educational model is designed to facilitate the successful transition to a traditional high school environment, providing an intentional 1st through 8th-grade experience.
- Benchmark's 49 years of proven student achievement is evidenced by the successes of our thousands of alumni, virtually all of whom have gone on to higher education, many attending our nation’s top colleges, universities, and graduate schools.
- Benchmark's pioneering model is a proven approach that transforms students' lives by empowering them with the essential strategies, self-knowledge, and confidence to not only succeed, but excel in a complex and ever-changing world.
- Our mission is to help our students who have yet to reach their academic potential become confident and strategic thinkers, learners, and problem solvers who meet with success in school and life.
Benchmark is accredited by the Pennsylvania Association of Independent School (PAIS), which is a member in good standing of the National Association of Independent School's (NAIS) Commission on Accreditation.
We believe each child is a unique individual whose potential has yet to be realized. To help students develop their potential, we endeavor to provide an inclusive and supportive environment that is grounded in an appreciation of who each student is as a learner and individual. Since every child is unique and constantly developing, we tailor our instruction to students' current strengths, challenges, and overall profile as we develop their confidence and competence.
Benchmark School is dedicated to making a profound difference in the lives of bright students who learn differently or have yet to unlock their full potential.
For nearly half a century, Benchmark has been a recognized leader in innovative education. Setting a course for the future, the school will continue to create dynamic instructional practices and establish new educational standards.
Benchmark's pioneering model is a proven approach that transforms students' lives by empowering them with the essential strategies, self-knowledge, and confidence not only to succeed but also excel in a complex and ever-changing world.
Through small classes, individualized instruction, supportive relationships, and on-going assessment of students’ needs and abilities, Benchmark teachers foster students’ development of self-confidence and learning strategies essential for academic success. Through participation in continuous professional development, teachers employ current, research-based pedagogical methods designed to support their students’ learning.
Richard Beach, Ph.D., Professor Emeritus, University of Minnesota & Former President, Literacy Research Association