Benchmark School is an independent, co-educational school for bright children in grades 1-8 who have been identified as having dyslexia, ADD/ADHD, auditory processing or other learning differences.
- Established: 1970
Campus & Facilities
- Address: 2107 North Providence Road, Media, PA 19063 (Map & Directions)
- 1.5 miles from Exit 5 off of I-476
- Campus Size: 23-acre campus
- Facilities Include:
- State-of-the-Art Innovation Lab
- 20,000 Volume Library
- Curriculum library
- 420 Seat A. Palmer West Family Performing Arts Center
- Music and Art Rooms
- Science Labs
- Heated Outdoor Pool
- Playing Fields
- Confidence Ropes & Zip Wire Courses
- Grades Served: 1-8
- Total Enrollment: 185 students
- Faculty/Student Ratio: 1:3
Accreditation & School Memberships
- Accreditation: Benchmark is accredited by the Pennsylvania Association of Independent School (PAIS), which is a member in good standing of the National Association of Independent Schools' (NAIS) Commission on Accreditation.
- School Memberships:
- National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
- Pennsylvania Association of Independent Schools (PAIS)
- International Dyslexia Association (IDA)
- Pennsylvania Branch of The International Dyslexia Association (PBIDA)
- Association of Delaware Valley Independent Schools (ADVIS)
- National Business Officers Association (NBOA)
- Philadelphia Area Independent School Business Officers Association (PAISBOA)
Students served are typically from the five-county Philadelphia region, Southern New Jersey, and Delaware.
Student Challenges in learning are related to how they process language and/or a mismatch of their learning styles and the instruction they have received. Benchmark School admits children who often arrive at Benchmark having been identified as having a learning difference, an auditory processing deficit, or a perceptual difficulty. Other students have been identified as having dyslexia, being reading disabled or learning disabled, or exhibiting ADD/ADHD. These labels provide a starting point for understanding the issues that correlate with the students' progress in school.
Financial Aid: Available to qualified applicants. Benchmark awards financial aid grants based on need. Families interested in pursuing tuition assistance need to complete the National Association of Independent School’s SSS (School and Student Services) forms at http://sss.nais.org. These forms provide an objective means of determining each family’s level of need.
- School Day: 8:15 AM-2:50 PM (After-School Activities end at 4:00 PM)
- Technology Used:
- State-of-the-Art Innovation Lab (NEW for Fall 2018!), including 3D printers, laser cutter, and iMacs
- SMART Board technology in all lower school, middle school, math, and science classrooms
- 1:1 iPads in all lower school classrooms
- 1:1 Chromebooks in lower school classrooms, grades 3-5
- 1:1 MacBook program in the middle school, grades 6-8
- instruction applying a range of technological tools integrated across the curriculum based on Benchmark's Technology Integration Framework
- Transportation: Busing is provided by the following school districts: Chester, Garnet Valley, Great Valley, Haverford, Lower Merion, Marple-Newtown, Penn-Delco, Radnor, Philadelphia, Ridley, Rose Tree-Media, Springfield, T/E, Upper Darby, Wallingford-Swarthmore, West Chester, and William Penn.
- Benchmark offers a five-week Summer Camp centered on Language Arts and Recreation. Three options are available: half day, full day, or language arts only.
- Email: MainOffice@BenchmarkSchool.org
- Phone: 610-565-3741
- Fax: 610-564-3872